In a nutshell: The EU-China NGO Twinning program aims at establishing partnerships between Chinese and European civil society organizations working on a similar topic.
One member of staff from each organization will be given the opportunity to work and study in the partner organization in the respective other region.
The length of the exchange period can be decided by the organizations individually. The minimum period is 4 weeks, the maximum period 8 weeks.
For more information on the application, twinning partner and organizational issues please also view our FAQ.
Topics of Exchange
The program comprises many diverse thematic areas for cooperation:
Social issues including Health, Labor and Migration, etc., Environmental Justice issues and Climate Change and Low Carbon Development work.
Exemplified by the areas of expertise of past exchange participants as seen here http://www.eu-china-twinning.org/2016-climate-change-twinner/, or here http://www.eu-china-twinning.org/2016-social-and-environmental-justice-twinner/.
Requirements for application
The participating organization should
- be able to provide an English-speaking and interactive working environment or contact person with English language skills.
- be able to provide a desk, a PC and a telephone and a contact person who can support the exchange fellow.
- help with the travel preparation (visa application, flight booking) and help finding accommodation/ guest families.
The exchange fellow should
- be able to communicate at work in English.
- have at least 2 years of working experience, ideally in the NGO sector.
- be available for both workshop events as stated in the timeline.
- The program is designed as a Twinning exchange, i.e. two organizations working on similar thematic issues exchange a member of their staff. Participants will be able to work part time for their own organization during the exchange period
- The length of the exchange period can be decided by the organizations individually. The minimum period is 4 weeks, the maximum period 8 weeks.
- The exchange cost will be covered by a scholarship. It includes international return flight, visa, basic travel insurance and workshop participation as well as a living allowance for accommodation, local transport and daily expenses.
The participants will be provided with
- Exchange preparation
- Thematic trainings/capacity building seminars on topics relevant for their work, e.g. political and societal backgrounds of and civil society development in the respective region.
Call for Applications
15th of December 2016
8th of February for Single Applications,
18rd of March 2017 for Joint Applications
27th March 2017
Exchange period to Europe
30th of May to 31th of July 2017
Exchange period to China
1st of September to 31st of October
Middle of June 2017: 3 day thematic workshop in Germany
Last week of September 2017: 3-day thematic workshop in China
Please note: Participation in both workshops is mandatory. Applying participants should therefore make sure they are available during the time period stated above.
Scholarship and Contribution Fee
The exchange cost will be covered by a scholarship. It includes international return flight, visa, basic travel insurance and workshop participation as well as a living allowance for accommodation, local transport and daily expenses.
The living allowance is 40 EUR per day; the total amount disbursed to each participant is calculated according to the number of days he or she spends abroad as part of the exchange.
Please make yourself familiar with the provisions for financial support and reimbursement procedures before submitting your application.
Each participating organization is asked to contribute a participation fee of 100 EUR or the equivalent in RMB. This is to ensure commitment to the program and to facilitate any unexpected activities that are not foreseen in the budget. This fee should be submitted within two weeks of confirming participation in the program.